Listed below are the main tobacco companies conducting sales in the United States:
Philip Morris USA
- Parent: Altria Group, Inc.
- U.S. market 2004 sales: $17.5 billion
- Market share: 49.8%
- Headquarters: Richmond, VA
- Brand names: Marlboro, Basic, Virginia Slims
Altria Group, Inc. is a holding company for Philip Morris Incorporated, Philip Morris International Inc., Kraft Foods Inc. and Miller Brewing Company, are engaged in the manufacture and sale of various consumer products. It is largest cigarette manufacturer in the United States. Altria Group reported $89.61 billion in revenues for 2004.
R.J. Reynolds, Inc.
- Parent: Reynolds American, Inc.
- U.S. market 2004 sales: $6.4 billion
- Market share: 30%
- Headquarters: Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Brand names: Camel, Doral, Salem, Winston, Kool
Reynolds American, Inc. is a holding company for R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, the second largest cigarette manufacturer in the United States. It was created in 2004 when R.J. Reynolds merged with Brown & Williamson, then the third-largest cigarette manufacturer in the United States. Reynolds American reported $6.4 billion in sales in 2004, a 22.2% increase from the previous year.
- Parent: Loews Corporation
- U.S. market 2004 sales: $3.3 billion
- Market share: 10%
- Headquarters: Greensboro, NC
- Brand names: Kent, True, Newport
Loews Corporation is a holding company for CNA Financial Corporation, Lorillard, Boardwalk Pipeline Partners, Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc., Loews Hotels, and Bulova Corporation. Loews reported $15.2 billion in revenues for 2004.